Individual Counselling Session – $130 to $170*
Up front fees vary between psychologists, however, the out-of-pocket expenses for all clients who have a doctor’s referral (mental health care plan) is the same at approximately $45*. Please see further information about Medicare rebates below.
Couples or Family Counselling Session – $150 to $170
It is not necessary to have a referral from your GP to see a psychologist but you may prefer to seek one as you may be eligible for rebates from Medicare for individual sessions.
Healthy Minds psychologists are also registered to provide sessions through Private Health Cover, TAC, WorkCover, DVA, Targeted Psychological Support Services (TPSS – formerly ATAPS), VVCS, EAP, VACP or VOCAT (see below).
Please note that you may be eligible for a rebate or funding under different referral guidelines (see below in other referral sources).
Session Length – 30 to 50 min
Sessions for low-income earners
Health Care Card/Pension Card Holders
Our practice believes that access to quality psychological care should be available to all people. People with a health-care card may be eligible for Targeted Psychological Support Services (TPSS – formerly known as ATAPS) which enables children and adults to access up to 12 sessions of individual (and group) counselling sessions per calendar year.
Please speak to your GP (or paediatrician) about your, or your child’s, eligibility for a Targeted Psychological Support Services referral. Your GP or paediatrician will need to submit your referral (mental health care plan and Targeted Psychological Support Services form) to their Primary Health Network for allocation to an appropriate psychologist. If you wish to be seen by a psychologist through Healthy Minds under Targeted Psychological Support Services your GP will need to specify this to the Primary Health Network (e.g., CareinMind – North Western Primary Health Network).
For more information on Targeted Psychological Support Services and referral forms please visit your Primary Health Network website (your Primary Health Network catchment is based on where your GP is located). Healthy Minds psychologists are registered with the following PHNs:
Melbourne Primary Care Network – CareinMind
Brimbank, Darebin, Hobsons Bay, Hume, Macedon Ranges, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Melton, Moonee Valley, Moorabool, Moreland, Wyndham, Yarra
Our counselling sessions and group sessions (or classes) are supported by Medicare when you have a referral (Mental Health Care Plan) from your GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician. With the Mental Health Care Plan, you are entitled to 10 counselling sessions and 10 classes in a calendar year.
To get a referral you will need to make an appointment with your GP to complete a Mental Health Care Plan. It is important to tell the doctor’s receptionist that you want a referral to a psychologist as the GP needs approximately 30 minutes to discuss the plan with you – so make sure you ask for a double session.
Read the Brochure for more information.
You must obtain your GP referral prior to your first appointment in order to receive Medicare rebates.
To obtain the Medicare (Better Access) rebate:
On payment of your counselling or group session, your Medicare rebate will be electronically processed through Healthy Minds and paid directly to your bank account (as registered with Medicare).
Payment for sessions is required at the time of the appointment and can be paid via:
- Credit card
- Bank transfer (details will be provided upon request).
Other referral sources
Individuals may access therapy sessions under other referral such as:
- Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT) – You may be entitled to access counselling if you have been the victim of a crime. For more information please visit https://www.vocat.vic.gov.au
- Victims of crime (VACP) – For those who have been a victim of crime. Contact Victims Support Agency on 1800 819 817 for further information OR Victims Assistance and Counselling Program VACP.
- Workcover – For those suffering a work-related injury or illness speak to your GP and/or TAC about your eligibility.
- Targeted Psychological Support Services (formerly ATAPS) – Children and adults on low incomes require a referral from their GP or paediatrician (through the primary health network). For more information visit https://nwmphn.org.au/health-systems-capacity-building/careinmind/
- TAC – For those who have sustained an injury in a transport accident. Speak to your GP and/or TAC about your eligibility.
- Private health insurance – People with private health insurance need to speak to their health fund provider about their eligibility.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Short-term counselling is often offered through your workplace (speak to Human Resources at your workplace).
Please note that clients who are referred under ATAPS, Victims of Crime, Worksafe, TAC and EAP will usually have the costs of sessions (number depends on referral) covered in full.
Healthy Minds would like to remind all clients that appointments with psychologists are in high demand. For this reason, we ask for at least 24hrs notice when cancelling an appointment. For appointments cancelled with less than 24hrs notice there will be a $50 cancellation fee. If you miss 2 appointments with less than 24hrs notice you will be placed on a waiting list for your next appointment. Under Targeted Psychological Support Services guidelines those who miss 2 appointments will need to gain a new referral before continuing with sessions.
Healthy Minds asks that if you need to cancel please give as much notice as possible so your appointment can be allocated to someone else on our waiting list. Any late cancellations will stop other clients accessing sessions and often mean the psychologist will be out of pocket for the room rental and practice costs. We trust you will agree that this is a fair and reasonable policy and we thank you for your understanding and adherence to the cancellation policy.
* Please note all psychologists at Healthy Minds are experienced and fully-registered psychologists. Fees may vary depending on the rebate available to the client from Medicare (this differs according to the psychologist’s registration with Medicare).